I know its a very British thing to talk about the weather,but that is exactly what I am going to do because Summer is nearly over and Autumn is just around the corner and all it seems to have done,since the children broke up from school,is rain ! It is raining at this exact moment as I write this and yesterday it rained all day and the day before that but I bet as soon as my two go back to school/sixth form the weather will become beautiful again.Now I love Autumn days,Autumn is my favourite time of year but I do like it to have followed a beautiful summer of days spent on the beach and lots of picnics and that just has not happened enough so far.
In Autumn I like the way the leaves on the trees change colour,the way the days can still be warm but the evenings have a slight nip to them,I love to go for long walks in the countryside and I like to add a few handmade decorative items to my home like my acorn bunting hung in my window (you can find this in my Etsy shop) and handmade pumpkins and apples in a wire basket or bowl by the fire place to welcome the change of the seasons.
So with that in mind I have decided to do a tutorial to show you how I make my felt apples.You will need –
1 sheet of green felt
1 small piece of brown felt
matching threads and a sewing needle
hollow fibre filling
piece of paper
1) draw a leaf shape on to your paper measuring around 10 cm in length and 5 cm at its widest point making sure the bottom of it is slightly longer and narrower than the top of your leaf.When you are happy with the shape use it as a template and cut six matching leaves out of your green felt.
2) now you have to take two felt shapes and sew along one curved side then pick up another and sew it onto an open edge of the sewn pieces and so on till all are used,making sure that the joins are all facing outwards.
3) take you brown felt and cut out a piece measuring 3 cm wide by 7 cm long and roll it up so the stalk will measure 3 cm and neatly stitch up the side.Then insert the stalk into the top of the inside out apple so that there is more stalk inside it than outside and stitch firmly in place.
4) now sew the still inside out apple halfway down the open side then gently turn inside out and fill with hollow fibre filling,then stitch the opening closed.
5) finally cut out two small leaf shapes from your green felt and sew onto your apple near the stalk. Voila all done.
You can make a red apple as well and as well as being a decorative item they make a beautiful pin cushion.
As you can tell from the above picture I have started making felt birds as well,this one is to hang in my window and I am making a range for my shop ready for Christmas as I think they would look lovely as a Christmas decoration for the tree in festive colours,they have a slightly folklore look about them which I adore.
What have you all been busy making and/or planning to make ? Do you celebrate the changing of the seasons in your home ? I look forward to hearing from you,Tabitha 🙂